I had installed this component a few months ago against SharePoint 2010 Server, but in our new environment I have a SharePoint 2013 Foundation system installed purely for the purpose of storing documents that relate to CRM 2011 entity processes, and the SharePoint 2013 system is also hosted on a Windows Server 2012 OS – the full architecture is described in the link below:-
Now the list component provides the ability to show the contents of specific document libraries which are associated with entity records. In works beautifully well with CRM in that you have a structured record keeping in CRM, with document management within a SharePoint environment. For the user of CRM it gives context to the related documents in a way that SharePoint cannot do by itself without heavy redesign.
Currently you can download the SharePoint 2013 list component from Microsoft with relevant instructions from:-
you will find the full installation instructions from the site – note that there two downloads – one for SharePoint 2010, and the other for SharePoint 2013. This article refers to SharePoint 2013 list component.
A brilliant article on what is required to install the component is illustrated at:-
The above article refers to SharePoint 2010 but the instructions are completely compatible with SharePoint 2013 – the only difference being where to access the main settings (top right hand corner in SharePoint 2013). In summary the process involves the following (it is important that you do it in this order):-
1) Download the Microsoft list component and extract its content but do NOT install until you have done step 2.
2) Goto the Central Admin site of SharePoint 2013, and ensure that under the ‘Manage services on Server’ that the ‘Microsoft SharePoint Sandboxed Code Service’ is started.
3) In Central Admin select the web application where the site collections in which document libraries will be created for CRM, you need to select General Settings/General Settings from the ribbon menu and then in the dialog that shows up scroll down and set the property for ‘Browser File Handling’ to ‘Permissive’. If you do not set this setting then the list component will not appear in the CRM IFRAME when you click on an entity records Documents link.
4) Now go to the actual site collection where SharePoint libraries will be created for use in CRM, and from the ‘Settings’ page of the site, select the Solutions option. You then need to upload into the solutions library the list component solution file that was extracted from the download in point (1) above (the solution file has extension .wsp).
5) During upload you will be given the option to ‘Activate’ the solution – click on the ‘Activate’ button. This will enable the list component for use with CRM. Note that if you do not carry out the instructions in point 2 – then the solution will not be activated and for me SharePoint 2013 did not return an error message – it just did not activate it until I actually carried out point (2) above, and I found that to activate it – I also had to uninstall the list component from the solution gallery (i.e. delete it), and then do point (2) above and then add the solution again, and I was allowed to activate it – and this time the system did respond by displaying the ‘Activated’ text next to the solution in the listing.
6) Ensure that the user accessing CRM has rights to the actual document library in SharePoint security permissions for the site.
7) After doing all the above – I tried to add a location to a library against an entity account record, and it would not display as it should, I kept getting the error that SharePoint was not allowing me to display the contents. So under the ‘Settings’ /Document Management area of CRM 2011 you will find a few document management settings related to configuring SharePoint libraries. Now from this area you can actually configure entities to use specific locations which I know works, but I just wanted to get an ad-hoc location in SharePoint 2013 working against my entity record. So I went into the SharePoint sites area of CRM, and in this area you can supply a URL location to a SharePoint site collection and verify it. This is what I did and then found that for my entity record – I could actually see the SharePoint 2013 list component in the IFRAME as the illustration above shows.
Note that the List Component for SharePoint 2013 should work for all versions of SharePoint 2013. I think that Microsoft should have pointed out the other bits required to get this SharePoint 2013 list component working in the instructions that they supply because installing just the solution is not the end of the story !!!